Delta Chi suspended on hazing allegations, fraternity appeals

Rob Engle

Pictured is the Delta Chi house located at 1440 5th Ave. near campus. The fraternity has been suspended on allegations of hazing that took place in the house in September.

Marshall University’s Delta Chi fraternity chapter has been suspended on allegations of hazing that took place at the fraternity’s house in September.

Established at Marshall in spring 2004, the organization was suspended last week following an investigation that took place after the university received an anonymous tip via the Anonymous Hazing Tip Line.

The Delta Chi Fraternity, Inc. subsequently issued a statement stating the chapter’s charter had also been suspended.

“The Delta Chi International Headquarters was made aware of alleged acts of hazing occurring with our Chapter at Marshall University,” wrote Delta Chi National Executive Director, Justin Sherman. “After a thorough investigation, the Fraternity felt suspension of the charter was the best course of action.”

Carla Lapelle, interim dean of student affairs at Marshall, said the fraternity was accused of hazing and complicity, which she defined as “working together to keep officials from learning of it.”

Lapelle said no students were injured and alcohol was not involved.

The chapter’s recognition as an organization has been suspended until Dec. 31st, 2016, and can regain recognition Jan. 1, 2017.

Delta Chi has chosen to appeal this decision.

During the suspension appeal process, the fraternity is still not recognized as a student organization, meaning members cannot hold meeting or participate in activities as a recognized student organization.

According to Marshall’s director of Student Conduct, Lisa Martin, the appeal process will involve the fraternity members appearing before a panel made up of faculty, staff and students.

“Witness’s for both parties, the fraternity and the University, will be called,” Martin said. “The hearing panel can ask questions and after all the evidence is presented then the hearing panel will deliberate and make their recommendations.”

Martin said three things could possibly happen from this hearing. The panel can say there is not enough evidence to suspend the fraternity, the panel can say the Office of Student Conduct had enough evidence and we are upholding their decision, or the panel can say the University did not go far enough and they can increase the charges and sanctions.

“If they win the appeal then they may still have some restrictions from their National organization,” Martin said.

The closed hearing is scheduled for next week.

Request for comment from Delta Chi’s chapter president at Marshall was declined.

Rob Engle can be contacted at [email protected].