The emergence of Chase Litton

What was once a situation at the quarterback position for Marshall University’s football team  has now become what fans call a “Lituation” for opponents.

Freshman quarterback Chase Litton took the reigns of the Marshall offense Sept. 19 against Norfolk State University and has not looked back.

Marshall linebacker Evan McKelvey said he is extremely pleased with Litton’s growth this season.

“He’s proven that he can play football as a true freshman, and I have faith in him,” McKelvey said. “I tell him every game, don’t be afraid to make a mistake. We’ve got your back.”

Litton said his choice to come to Marshall was almost immediate following his recruiting visit.

“My mom was talking to Doc (Holliday) for about an hour while I was touring the campus,” Litton said. “When she came back, she said ‘Chase, I love that man and everything he’s about.’ So, when my mom said that, I knew this was the place.”

A man of many nicknames, the one that sticks most with Litton is “Boogie.”

Litton said his nickname stems from one of his biggest football inspirations rather than his dance moves.

“I’m a huge Cam Newton fan,” Litton said. “His name is Ace Boogie, so my brother started calling me Chase Boogie and it stuck ever since.”

NFL quarterback Cam Newton of the Carolina Panthers, uses the moniker “Ace Boogie” on social media, as well as on the field.

Though Litton is known for his talents on the field, he has also had his fair share of accomplishments on the hardwood.

He helped lead the Wharton High School basketball team to four straight district titles while earning Second-Team All-County honors.

Litton and the Herd faces Florida Atlantic University noon Saturday in Boca Raton, Florida.

Ishmael Witten can be contacted at [email protected].