Stranger in a Strange Land

INTO MU student works to integrate with American classmates

There are 100 students from other countries who receive a scholarships to study in America, and Marshall University INTO MU student Poramate Nakkirt is one of them.
Nakkirt came from Thailand two months ago and is studying English at the INTO center. He said he plans on entering the math undergraduate program at Marshall next year.
Nakkirt said he was required to pass a test of English, math, science and sociology to receive the scholarship.
Nakkirt visited Washington D.C. for spring break and he said he saw the monuments, the capital, Chinatown and a spy museum.
“One of my favorite things about Washington D.C. is that I could find Thai food more easily,” Nakkirt said. “I can not cook food from home in the dorm.”
Nakkirt said the Thai culture is stricter than American culture. Younger people have to respect their elders, hugging and kissing someone of the opposite gender, if not married, is not allowed and you have to be 21 to drive.
Nakkirt said there is a big difference in education. In Thailand he attended Chulalonghorn University.
“Huntington is so small and America has high quality education,” Nakkirt said.
Nakkirt says that it is harder to learn English because all of his friends speak Thai, but he said it is hard to make American friends because of the language barrier.
“It’s better to have American friends to practice English and learn the culture,” Nakkirt said.
Nakkirt said he is happy being in America and having the opportunity to study at Marshall.
“America is so nice,” Nakkirt said. “I like students at Marshall, they always take care of me.”
Caitlin Fowlkes can be contacted at [email protected].