Etiquette dinner helps students develop professional skills

%E2%80%9CEveryday+Etiquette%E2%80%9D+author+Terri+Thompson%2C+left%2C++instructs+a+student+on+proper+dining+etiquette+Tuesday+at+the+Memorial+Student+Center.+

Katherine Spence

“Everyday Etiquette” author Terri Thompson, left, instructs a student on proper dining etiquette Tuesday at the Memorial Student Center.

Marshall University Career Services and Northwestern Mutual had an etiquette dinner Tuesday for students.

About 50 to 60 students were present at the start of the event. Attending students participated in a four-course meal while they were instructed on the basics of dining and business etiquette.

The meal consisted of tomato soup, salad, chicken with potatoes and chocolate cake.

Speaker and author Terri Thompson spoke at the event. Thompson talked about proper etiquette such as which utensils to use, how to hold a fork and the proper ways to eat certain foods. Thompson used humor and real life lessons to illustrate her points. According to her website, she holds a Bachelor of Science degree from Northwest State University and is a graduate of the Etiquette Institute. She is also the author of the book “Everyday Etiquette.”

Debby Stoler, assistant director at MU Career Services, said the goal of the event was to instruct students who will soon be out in the world on dining and business etiquette.

Stoler said students might someday have an interview that includes a meal or a business dinner with executives after being hired.

“Knowing proper business etiquette in these situations will make events like that much easier to handle,” Stoler said.

Stoler said the presentation benefits students in that it gives them confidence in handling themselves in a professional situation that may include a meal and company executives.

Stoler said this is just one of many services provided by MU Career Services to help students with professional skills development.

Matthew Eplion can be contacted at [email protected].