Judge Richard Gergel speaking at the Amicus Curiae lecture.
Courage Valued at Amicus Curiae
Sarah Davis, News Editor • February 23, 2024
The Herd has dropped three consecutive games.
Chanticleers Curb the Herd
Ben Cower, Student Reporter • February 23, 2024
Dean Stites talks with students.
COS Students Get to Know New Dean
Scott Price, Chief Copy Editor • February 25, 2024

Women’s Basketball Suffer First Loss of the New Year

Courtesy of HerdZone
Women’s Basketball suffered its first loss since Dec. 21.

A history-making winning streak came to an end on Saturday, Feb. 3, when Marshall Women’s Basketball lost their 10-win start to conference play against James Madison University.

With a final score of 63-72, head coach Kim Caldwell’s team wasn’t able to fight the adjustments JMU made following the previous matchup between the two teams.

“We were never really comfortable on the offensive end,” Caldwell said following the loss. “It was a completely different look for us.”

During the game, Marshall only shot 30% from the field, going 22-for-73 from the field. The season average for shooting is 43%.

“We didn’t shoot it great,” Caldwell said, “but that’s more hats off to them and their defense.”

JMU shot 58% from the field and used an extended roster that Marshall isn’t used to was able to keep the Dukes out of reach for most of the game.

“I feel like later in the game we got too comfortable,” Mays said following the loss.

Following the first quarter, both teams were tied at 14 apiece however, JMU scored the first eight points of the second quarter to eventually take a nine-point lead going into halftime.

On the day, Marshall had four double-digit scorers: Breanna Campbell had 16 points on 6-for-19 shooting along with five steals; Abby Beeman scored 15 points on 6-for-12 shooting with 6 assists; CC Mays had 13 points, a season high, on 4-for-10 shooting; Aislynn Hayes scored 10 points on 3-13 shooting.

Following the loss, Marshall is now 16-6 overall and remains number one in the Sun Belt with a 10-1 record in league action.

James Madison is now 16-7 overall and 8-3 in Sun Belt play.

The Herd has one more home game this week against Louisiana before a week-long break that goes into a four-game away trip.