Got That Beat Club Explores 1970s Makeup

Jada Mills
Members of the MU Got That Beat club apply makeup.

The history of 1970s makeup was explored during a recent event by Got That Beat, a club on campus that focuses on all things beauty-related. 

“In the ’70s, the makeup culture exploded; the women became more creative with their makeup looks,” said Paige Rinschler, the club’s founder. “Eyeliner and vibrant colors became popular, thanks to the model Twiggy.”

Every week the club’s “From Past to Future Friday” event looks at how makeup has changed throughout the decades. Club members learn about the application processes and specific products that were popular in that decade.

“Next Friday, we are exploring the ’80s decade, and, the week after, we will look into the ’90s,” Rinschler said. “Once we get through all the decades, we will learn about traditional goth makeup and so on.”

The club was created last year to share Rinschler’s passion for makeup with other students. 

“Trying to come up with a catchy name was a challenge, but ‘Got That Beat’ popped into my head, and I thought it fit perfectly since your face is your beat,” Rinschler said.

How to apply stage makeup, special effects, production and normal to creative makeup looks are the main focuses of the club. They also explore cosplay, drag and abstract makeup. 

“The club is for all levels of makeup experience, even if you are just starting out, and no matter what type of makeup you are into, we are the club for you,” Rinschler said. 

Every other Monday, the club also hosts an event called 

“Makeover Monday,” where members can learn about the basics of skincare and try out different products. 

“I will bring in different cleansers and toners for members to test out so they can find the best products for their skin type,” Rinschler said. 

Some 38 members are active, and Rinschler hopes this number will grow even more throughout the fall semester. 

“I was eager to join this club because I am interested in grand stage makeup,” said Oeryssa Anderson, the club’s social media director. “I am trying to get more skilled through practice, and this club allows me to do that.”

The club is also interested in participating in some off-campus events this semester. 

“There are several conventions that happen throughout the year that would make a fun field trip for the club. They can broaden our knowledge and introduce us to a wider range of techniques,” Anderson said. 

More information about the club can be found on herdlink.marshall.edu or the club’s Instagram, @MUGOTTHATBEAT.