Low temps cause car troubles

“The key is to start your car every day or drive around to put a charge back in it.”

Marshall University students are having car troubles during the winter season.
Students are dealing with car issues caused by the sudden and drastic change in temperature. Dead car batteries are becoming common due to cold weather and inactivity this season.
Some students who live at the Village on Sixth, an apartment complex within walking distance of campus could not drive their cars for several days after being snowed into their parking spots.
“My car was stuck in the parking lot of my building, so I didn’t even try to go anywhere I couldn’t walk to,” said sophomore Emily Lively. “When I thought I could finally move it from my parking spot, it wouldn’t start.”
Jordan Thompson, junior, said he did not drive his car for a week.
“I knew my car battery was going to die,” Thompson said. “I hadn’t driven my car in a week, and there were some really cold days.”
Larry Dawson, owner of Larry Dawson Auto Sales, said it is the temperature drop that is causing car problems.
“The problem occurs when we’re creeping into winter and the temperature suddenly drops,” Dawson said. “It’s that avalanche of cold after the warmer weather. The key is to start your car every day or drive around to put a charge back in it.”
Timmy Few, office manager at S and S Automotive, said car batteries are either made with a liquid or a gel. All cars are manufactured with a liquid battery while gel batteries are special ordered.
Dawson said gel batteries are more durable in harsh weather because they are sealed. Liquid batteries, found more often in older cars, experience evaporation when liquid mixes with acids in higher temperatures.
“Getting a new car battery will run you about $100 to $175,” Few said. “They’re not always beyond repair though. We can recharge a battery so you won’t always need a new one.”
Hannah Harman can be contacted at [email protected].