Game show to determine sexuality wizards

“The event gives students access to experts on these topics for the questions that they want to ask.” – Shawn Schulenberg, director of graduate studies

Marshall University sexuality studies will present Wizard of Sexuality Studies at 8 p.m. Monday in Smith Hall Room 154.

Wizard of Sexuality Studies is a game show allowing students to ask the questions, decide the winners and watch their favorite teachers fight for victory.

Director of Classics Eric Del Chrol said he really enjoys the event.

“Wizard of Sexuality Studies is hilarious and edifying,” Chrol said. “It is just so much fun, and it’s so smart.”

Shawn Schulenberg, director of graduate studies, said the questions range from highly intellectual to those that would make a seventh grader blush during his or her sex education course.

“The event gives students access to experts on these topics for the questions that they want to ask,” Schulenberg said. “Moreover, as opposed to just getting a biologist’s or a political scientist’s answer to a question, you can get a wide range of perspectives that reflect each panelist’s academic background and expertise.”

I like to joke that I won the popular vote and Jeff won the Citizens United vote.

— Hilary Brewster

The first 100 audience members will receive clickers to cast their vote. Additional votes are earned for every dollar donated to CONTACT Rape Crisis Center.

Chrol said Sexuality Studies raised more than $530 from votes during last year’s show.

English professor Hilary Brewster will join the panel after nearly winning in 2014.

“Last year, going into the final round I was in first place based on audience voting,” Brewster said. “The ultimate winner, Dr. Jeffrey Ruff, had a donation of $100 dollars. It was great for the event and CONTACT, but it meant none of us stood a chance after that. I like to joke that I won the popular vote and Jeff won the Citizens United vote.”

Students can submit questions leading up to and during the event by tweeting @musexualitystu or using #wizard2015.

Members of the audience will receive a free raffle ticket for a chance to win sexuality studies-themed books.

Brewster said last year, contestants took questions from the audience and Twitter.

Faculty on the panel includes Jeff Ruff, religious studies, Paige Muellerleile, psychology, Robin Conley, sociology and anthropology, Hilary Brewster, English and Shawn Schulenburg, political science.

Hannah Harman can be contacted at [email protected].