Dean Cooley: Expectations for Marshall students

Rick Haye | University Communications

Associate Vice President of Intercultural Affairs Maurice Cooley speaks at Marshall’s Donning of the Kente ceremony, which recognizes African and African American graduates, April 28, 2016. Cooley was one of 35 African American students attending Marshall during his freshman year in 1966. Today, Cooley is a mentor for minority students on campus.

Dear Marshall University students,

As the Marshall University community prepares for the fall 2020 semester, the health, safety and academic progress of students is my chief concern, and I feel very serious about this matter. We have spent an excessive amount of time since March in the development of scientific-based practices and guidelines to minimize the risk of increasing the rate of COVID-19 on our campus and community. We are requiring that you follow all university COVID-19 guidelines to minimize the extreme effects of this virus, while considering how each one of our choices will affect another person’s health and well-being. We are our brothers’ and sisters’ keepers!

While observing the non-compliance that we are seeing among many university students across our nation and the resulting serious COVID-19 outbreaks, hospitaliza- tions, closing of campuses and students dropping out, I want to emphasize that this will not be tolerated at Marshall. It has come to my attention during recent days that a number of large gatherings and parties have taken place without masks and proper social distancing. These practices will, in fact, cause an escalation of this virus among our students and nearby residents have strongly complained.

The following required guidelines are simple and necessary for all of us to have a safe experience:

• Do not attend or host any large gatherings of 25 people or more;
  • At all times, wear your mask in public spaces;
  • Always practice social distancing;
  • Wash your hands frequently and disinfect high-touch surfaces; and
  • Comply with any contact tracing request you may receive.

I sincerely hope you will follow these new rules until COVID-19 and all its effects are no longer a daily and stressful part of our lives. So, please, make decisions with this in mind. The maturity and judgment of Marshall students has always been viewed among the best of colleges and universities, and even during times like this, we will get through this together.

page1image43132880

Please be informed that the Office of Student Conduct will intervene with serious sanctions for students who do not comply. We hope to avoid taking these actions. You can report problematic behavior by using our online report system. These reports are received in real time. You can also call MUPD at 304-696-4357.

We will not tolerate unsafe behavior at Marshall. Let’s make this work together.

Sincerely, Maurice R. Cooley Dean of Students