Campus libraries make adjustments for pandemic

Drinko+Library

Michaela Crittenden

Drinko Library

Marshall University’s Drinko and Morrow Library have been adjusting to the “new normal.”

In order to keep students and faculty safe on campus, there are new requirements being accounted for under COVID-10 policy.

Faculty and staff members are using specific methods in order for students to continue having access to the resources they need.

One method put into place is no-touch services.

This strategy is to limit the number of people who touch the materials that students need on campus.

Students no will go to “My Li- brary Account” to request the specific materials they need. Within 24 hours, students will be able to pick up these items at Drinko on regular business days and times.

Drinko’s new hours are Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

This portal will help students access everything the library provides.

For non-circulating archives in the special col- lections section at Morrow, there now is a social distance reading room.

With scheduled appointments, students and re- searchers will have access to collections that will be placed in designated areas.

Archivist and digital preservation librarian Eliz- beth James said, “Appointments can be made from 9

PARTHENON FILE PHOTO

share spaces to prevent expo- sure in either direction. For me, the biggest challenge to overcome is getting used to the new ways to assist research- ers requesting assistance. Students are my favorite part about being an archivist and librarian on campus because I learn something new from the research they do in our depart- ment every day. Getting used to the new ways we will assist students and provide access to materials via virtual platforms will be a rewarding challenge.” Harper said.

Adjusting to an ongoing pan- demic is an extreme challenge, but campus librarie officials are finding ways to overcome these challenges to assist students.

Harper said, “It was difficult figuring out how to reimag- ine our standard procedures and incorporate limitations in available technology to create

a.m. to 4 p.m. Delaying the start time by an hour lets us gather materials you wish to use at 9 a.m.”

The libraries also offer free scans to outside re- searchers to reduce the number of civilians using the facilities.

James said faculty and staff members are using ev- ery precaution to maintain a safe environment for students and personnel.

“At a minimum, we disinfect the space in use no less than four times per day,” Morrow archivist and manager Lindsey Harper said. “Staff and volunteers are required to wear masks anytime they are out of an enclosed workspace. Staff and students do not

the safest environment for staff and students, but I’m happy to say that the final process is one that will al- low researchers to accomplish their work in safety.”

Harper said there have been some unexpected benefits which have resulted from having to rethink standard processes.

She said some of the new technologies being used, such as LibCal for requesting collections and making ap- pointments to discuss research with an archivist, likely will be maintained after the threat of COVID-19 is gone.

Denise Jackson can be contacted at [email protected].