Fans allowed at 2020 Marshall home football games: Face masks required, no tailgating permitted

Richard Crank

The Marshall football team prepares for its home game against the Ohio Bobcats last season.

Marshall University’s Athletic Department released Tuesday, Aug. 25 that fans will be allowed to attend all six Marshall home football games this season. 

The total stadium capacity will be reduced to season ticket holders, students, players families, and visiting fans that will be spread out throughout Joan C. Edwards Stadium.

For students, tickets will be first come, first serve as seating will be limited. Students will also use their respective Marshall ID to enter through Gate F. Single-game tickets will potentially be limited. No reentry wil be permitted.

“We are thrilled to be able to have our loyal and passionate fan base in attendance for our six home football games in 2020,” Mike Hamrick, director of athletics at Marshall said. “We worked diligently and deliberately to create a plan that will allow us to proceed safely and take care of our season ticket holders, students, staff and visitors. We will have a minimal amount of additional tickets available, but the best way to guarantee a seat is through the purchase of season tickets. We are so grateful we will have fans at The Joan for such a special season. In order to have fans, we must follow the orders and guidelines that will be distributed soon. We will proceed safely, methodically and we look forward to an exciting 2020 season.”

All fans and spectators are required to wear face masks or coverings and follow all safety protocols while attending home games.

There will not be any tailgating this season, but could potentionally be revisited if the safety guidelines are relaxed.

When seated, there will be empty rows in front and behind fans to promote social distance. Furthermore, the two seats to the left and to the right of a group will be empty.

The maximum amount of tickets per group allowed to sit near one another is six. 

Spectators will receive tickets digitally on cellphones. This includes season ticket holders and will be emailed to the cellphones five days prior to the Marshall home football game.

More information regarding social distancing and safety protcols can be found online at HerdZone.com. 

Kickoff times will be released at another date.

Taylor Huddleston can be contacted at [email protected].