Rec Center reflects on six years of Herd fitness

“I now love the fact that I hate it even though that makes no sense because I feel like death in the class and I’m actually doing something.” – Anita Langary

The Rec Center will celebrate its sixth year anniversary Thursday with special offers and classes.

The Rec is offering free entry to premium classes Thursday and specials during February and March. Premium classes offered this semester include Cross Train Under Thirty Minutes (C.U.T.), Belly Dancing and Buti Yoga.

Marshall University student and daily Rec attendee Annaliese Robinson said she would most likely be attending the fifth anniversary.

“I would go and workout all day for the free classes, but I would probably not pay for the classes afterward,” Robinson said.

The Rec is offering a try-before-you-buy week Feb. 16 to 22 and March 30 to April 5, during which all classes will be free.

C.U.T. is a new, high intensity class offered at the Rec Center Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. C.U.T. provides the intensity of popular programs like P90X or Insanity.

For people who are more cardio driven, Zumba is also offered at the Rec Center. Zumba is a cardio workout that burns calories and is dance-based.

Marshall student and Rec Center employee Julie Wen said she attends Zumba and plans on attending the anniversary.

“I like to go when I’m not busy,” Wen said. “I go to the gym three to four times a week.”

The Rec also offers the new millennium-crazed spin class popular among celebrities and the Huntington community.

Exchange student Anita Langary attributes her love of spin to her hometown in London, England.

“I was a receptionist at a gym, and I was really good friends with the instructor of spin,” Langary said. “She was always like come, and I hated it so much. And I now love the fact that I hate it, even though that makes no sense because I feel like death in the class and I’m actually doing something.”

There will be a small reception at 12:30 p.m. Thursday in the Rec Center lobby for the anniversary with snacks and cake for members.

Mercedez Speight can be contacted at [email protected].