New apartments to be available for grad students

The future is here for Marshall University graduate students, as they will now have their own apartment complex with access to campus. 

“When new graduate students are moving to the Huntington area, it can sometimes be difficult to navigate the housing market,” said Mistie Bibbee, director of Marshall’s Housing and Residence Life. “Fairfield Landing is intended to make beginning a graduate program at Marshall as smooth as possible by providing a graduate housing community that is conveniently located and provides updated amenities.”

The new apartment complex, Fairfield Landing, will be located next to the Erma Ora Byrd Clinical Center on 14th Street.

Fairfield Landing apartments will include studio apartments and two-bedroom apartments. The apartments will also be all-inclusive, so graduate students will not have to seek out other companies for amenities like water, electric or cable and internet, Bibbee said. Fairfield Landing will be able to house 280 graduate students.

“Our intent is to be able to have scholarships help with the cost of the apartments,” Bibbee said. If students wish to have a meal plan with the apartment complex they can work with Housing and Residence Life or the Campus ID Office in order to purchase one, but one is not included in the leasing, Bibbee said.

Fairfield Landing apartments will be available to all graduate students and medical and pharmacy residents who are training at Marshall. Housing and Residence life will be responsible for the management of Fairfield Landing, which will include the leasing and the daily operations of the facility, Bibbee said.

The cost of the apartments is still being finalized, but Bibbee said Marshall hopes that Fairfield Landing will help attract graduate students to the school.

“I believe the new apartment complex is a great addition to Marshall University’s academic appearance,” said Alex Chukwu-Noe, a senior who is planning on going to Marshall’s graduate school to obtain her master’s in nursing. “I would not personally want to live in the apartments because I already live close to campus, but I remember what it was like trying to find a decent apartment. This apartment complex will be great for people not from the Huntington area.”

The architects at Signet Real Estate Group and Lindley Paving Construction have taken their vision and moved on to the construction stages, Bibbee said.

Madalyn McCoy can be contacted at [email protected].