SGA approves funding for four student organizations

The Student Government Association voted Tuesday to fund student organizations including the Rotaract Club, the Indian Student Association and the Sado Club, which is a Japanese awareness club. SGA also passed and approved funding for a Professional Wrestling Club on Marshall University’s campus.

Alex O’Donnell, president pro-tempore, explained how student organizations request funding and the process that occurs once the request is made.

“All the funding bills come from the funding bills applications on the SGA website,” O’Donnell said. “Once you fill out and submit a form, it gets directly emailed to me. Once the form is fully complete with W9 and IRS tax letter information, I immediately put the bill on for next week’s roster.”

The bill then goes to the finance committee as new business, where it is debated. If approved, it moves to old business, where it is discussed among the senators during the senate meeting.

“The president has the ability to sign or veto the bill,” O’Donell said. “From there, I make an invoice and submit it to our secretary.”

O’Donnell said once the invoice and the check arrives, the organization can then deposit it into their bank.

“At the end of the semester, the organization has to submit a final funding report detailing where the money was used and how effectively it was used,” O’Donnell said. “After that, the bill is officially complete once they submit that report.”

Kyle Camacho can be contacted at [email protected].