‘Unity Walk’ kicks off homecoming celebrations

All of Marshall’s organizations and clubs were invited to participate in Marshall’s annual Unity Walk Tuesday, an event to represent Marshall’s unity as a university.

“Marshall is such a unique community and it’s such a unique time for the lives of students,” said Maurice Cooley, vice president of intercultural affairs. “Because this is one place where students from 70 different countries and people from all over our country can learn and grow together.”

The Unity Walk also gave students an opportunity to meet new people from every organization on campus because, when the walk commenced, everyone was walking shoulder to shoulder to the Memorial Student Center.

“The Unity Walk really encourages us to all work together, because a lot of organizations do events together and it’s just a good opportunity so we can communicate,” said Alpha Chi Omega member Jordan Graley.

The walk concluded at the Memorial Student Center where a stage was prepared and President Jerry Gilbert gave a speech, along with Vice President of Student Affairs Cedric Gathings.

“I felt it when I first stepped on the campus and I feel it every day I walk across the campus that there’s a sense that we all belong,” said Gilbert. “And I think that’s what I like about Marshall and that’s what attracted me to Marshall and that’s why we’re all here together.”

After President Gilbert and Cedric Gathings conclude their speeches, the leaders of all the clubs and organizations on campus took to the stage to introduce themselves and their club.

After all of the organizations were able to represent themselves, all of the candidates for Mister and Miss Marshall were introduced and were able to tell the crowd why students should vote for them. The winners of the homecoming election will be announced at the homecoming game on Saturday.

Monica Zalaznik can be reached at [email protected]