World Council plans first program

Marshall’s World Council gathered to discuss possible programs that will encourage students from all cultures to come together Thursday.

The meeting began with a welcome from Associate Vice President of Intercultural Affairs Maurice Cooley. A total of 15 different students came to the meeting to represent their country or organization.

“We’re at this great place called a university where we have all of these bright minds from all over,” Cooley said. “And we have resources to gather them all together and create something truly wonderful.”

The first order of business was to introduce new members who could not attended the first meeting and tell them what the World Council hopes to accomplish. After introductions were made, the council began discussing their event ideas.

The program that was decided will be “Intercultural Tea: A Black and White Affair.” The World Council will host an intercultural tea time that will encourage students to meet new people from other cultures and ask questions.

Elise Gooding, who represented the John Marshall Emerging Leadership Institute and the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender group, said she jumped at the chance to get more involved with diversity on campus.

“I hope to help with diversity on campus,” Gooding said, “making students feel more included and hopefully learn more about other people’s cultures.”

The tea will be an event open to anyone at Marshall, but the event will require people to RSVP in order to determine the amount of food and tea that will be required. The black and white affair means that all in attendance will need to be wearing black or white. This is meant to show that everyone is alike, yet different.

“We are looking for something to attract any students who don’t participate in other activities to come out and learn new things and communicate with new people, so we can help teach people that our differences make us stronger,” Russian Representative Ekaterina Gutsan said.

The tea will take place Dec. 1 and the World Council will send out fliers and invitations so students may RSVP.

The final subject discussed at the meeting was the annual Unity Walk, where the council decided they would take part by attending as a group. They will make a banner to represent the group during the walk and they said they welcome anyone else who would like to walk with them.

The next meeting for the World Council will be Oct. 27 at 4 p.m. in the John Spotts Room in the Memorial Student Center.

Monica Zalaznik can be reached at zalaznik@live. marshall.edu