Modern Language students, faculty gather at fall reception

Students and faculty of Marshall University’s Modern Languages department gathered to socialize and meet other members of their department at the Modern Languages Fall Reception Thursday.

“It is so important to be able to see all of the professors in one place,” Associate Professor Natsuki Fukunaga Anderson said. “And connect freshman with seniors so they can offer guidance to their fellow students.”

Anderson is a Japanese professor and the founder of the Marshall Japan club. The reception offered insight into the various organizations that are part of the language department.

Japan club president Savannah Ison said she hoped to get the word out about the other clubs connected to the Japan club, such as the Kendo club and the Sado club. The Japan club does not have weekly meetings, but has several events throughout the semester. An upcoming event is Japan Day, which will occur on Oct. 14 from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. The event allows students of any major to participate in Japanese culture through food and various stands.

Senior Spanish and Japanese major Catherine Wippel said the Spanish club at Marshall will start official meetings on Sept. 20 at 7:30 p.m. During the meeting, Wippel said they build study groups, watch movies, listen to music and play games.

“Foreign languages are so important in themselves,” Wippel said. “And here in West Virginia sometimes we can be lack in other cultures and other languages, so it’s important that we are aware of these thing and that we can bring them into Marshall.”

The German club was also in attendance and talked about their meetings. The German club meetings have started already and are every Wednesday at 6 p.m. in Smith Hall room 108.

“Even though we have really good programs here, the languages don’t always get to meet each other,” Ison said. “So the reception is a really good chance for people with similar interests to meet new people.”

Monica Zalaznik can be reached at [email protected].