Herd4Christ reaches out to students

Herd4Christ is one of the many religious organizations on Marshall University’s campus, but leaders of this group distinguish it from the others by planning more than just weekly congregations.

Chris Roberts, who has been a minister at the 26 Street Church of Christ for about eight years, said one of his weekly responsibilities is to be at the Memorial Student Center Starbucks at 9 a.m. every Wednesday to provide “Coffee with Chris,” where students have the opportunity to meet with Roberts and pray or talk about their lives.

“College is a crucial time for people spiritually,” Roberts said. “We want to be there for folks as they might be questioning their faith and to be there to hopefully strengthen that faith.”

In addition to “Coffee with Chris,” members of Herd4Christ participate in church services on Sundays, monthly service projects both on and off campus and Herd4Christ classes.

Classes are typically divided into age groups, one of which is specifically for college students. Travis Huffman, a Marshall graduate who has participated in Herd4Christ since 2010, said the group is how he met many of his friends.

“It’s a good group of kids where we have similar interests, similar backgrounds, the same beliefs and the same attitudes,” Huffman said. “Not only does it give you an added spiritual aspect, it gives you a solid group of friends that you don’t have to work really hard to get. It gives you a sense of family on campus.”

Aside from service projects, which Roberts said include volunteering for Habitat for Humanity, children’s homes, a clothing giveaway and a “parents’ day out,” where volunteers watch children, Herd4Christ members also meet for more relaxing activities, like a dinner and movie night at Roberts’s house.

Roberts also said Friday devotionals occur at 6 p.m. in various locations and consist of singing, prayer and a “fun activity,” like miniature golf or a scavenger hunt.

“The group’s goal, and my goal as well, is to spread the gospel of Christ and good news about Jesus, so we would like for as many folks to know about that as possible and have their lives changed by it,” Roberts said.

Olivia Zarilla can be contacted at [email protected].