Refund changes explained

Marshall University’s E-Refund service has changed over the last year from Pittsburgh National Corporation Bank to Heartland ECSI. This change requires students who receive their refund electronically to change their preference from PNC to Heartland ESCI in order to get their refund sent to the account of their choice.

Because of some changes of the law by the U.S. Department of Education, PNC decided to no longer provide the refund service.

“We still have a relationship with PNC,” said assistant director of student financial systems Robert Collier. “They provide banking services to students who are interested. They are just no longer our refund provider.”

There are still numerous PNC ATMs on campus and PNC representatives still come to campus. For students who use PNC for banking, there will be no changes to the way they bank.

Due to the suddenness of the change, it didn’t leave much time for a search for a new refund provider, so Marshall decided to go with Heartland ESCI. Marshall University has had a relationship with Heartland ESCI for many years.

“It was the right move to make. We knew we could rely on them,” Collier said.

Over 6,000 students have already switched their refund preference since the new change.

There is still time for students who haven’t changed their refund preferences yet to still do so. Marshall can’t change students’ information from PNC to Heartland ESCI because of legality reasons. Even if the student made a change in preference a year ago to PNC, the student will have to change again because Marshall can’t take PNC’s file and switch it to Heartland ESCI. The student has to choose the account it goes to directly.

In order to change preferences, students have to login to their MyMU, go to the E-Refund navigation button and follow the instructions according to the refund preference they wish to receive.

If a student is too late in the preference change however, a physical check will be mailed to the permanent mailing address on record for the student as a default.

Noah Gillispie can be contacted at [email protected].