GET UP, LET’S GET DOWN with FEST

The music festival will have a classic feel with a modern twist, mixing widely known acts and local bands.

Marshall University students and staff are gearing up for FEST, a 12 hour musical festival 10 a.m. Saturday at the Ritter Park Amphitheater.

Sarah Dyke, Campus Activities Board adviser, is involved in every aspect of revamping FEST and ensuring a successful event to last for years to come.

We actually had the idea in the summer, we didn’t actually know we were bringing it back, we just thought that we were having FEST,Dyke said. We met with Huntington Parks and Rec about getting the amphitheater, one of the employees there said that he loved Spring Fest when he was a student here in the ‘80s. We looked into it (Spring Fest) and revamped it and made it modernized but still with an ‘80s and ‘90s twist to it.

Colten Settle and the Settlement have been touring the Tri-State area leading up to FEST.

It is about time we have a spring music festival in this area,Settle said. I could see it blossoming into something much bigger. I truly believe that music brings people together.

Along with the student activity staff, students from Marshall and the National Association of Campus Activities convention in Cincinnati chose the acts taking the stage.

We work with NACA once a year,Dyke said. We have attended it the past two years, thats where we get our comedians, hypnotists, musical acts and little knick-knack things. Its a really just a convention for everyone to come and they advertise things for universities to bring to their campus for student activities.

The Settlement was approached to perform in FEST after an impromptu performance on the plaza.

Lee Tabor approached me about it last summer after getting kicked out of the student center during a spontaneous performance,Settle said. We played for CAB’s party on the plaza and the FEST showcase.

FEST gives opportunities for local bands to broaden their fan base and play in front of national acts.

I’m not nervous,Settle said. Some of my bandmates might be, but I’m just excited to play in front of national acts. The Ying Yang twins will be ridiculous, I’m sure of it. This is a fine opportunity. We get to party with new folks. There are plenty of people who have never heard us play, and we want to make a good impression. It will be a great time to network with other artists as well.

A Fun Bus shuttle is available for free stopping at Joan C. Edwards Stadium, Pullman Square and the Ritter Park Amphitheater arriving every 30 minutes.

General admission tickets are $20 for Marshall students and $35 for the public. Tickets are limited with only 1000 total tickets available.

VIP tickets are $35 for Marshall students and $50 for the public.

Kelsie Lively can be contacted at [email protected].