African Explosion aims to add diversity to campus

Sage Shavers

Traditional African clothing and rugs were sold at the MSC plaza today during African Explosion.

Marshall University students were exposed to parts of African culture outside of the Memorial Student Center Thursday as part of the Organization of African Students’ African Explosion.

The organization had a table by the memorial fountain, where they were selling traditional African clothing, including  dashikis and rugs.

Sophomore computer information and digital imaging double major Moya Dixon said the organization buys clothing from several vendors across the United States.

According to Dixon, the purpose of the African Explosion and the ongoing goal of the Organization of African Students is to add more diversity to Marshall’s campus.

Sophomore psychology major Octavia Wilson said joining the organization has helped her grow as a person.

“I was able to become more in touch with who I am,” Wilson said.

The last large event the originization had was the Taste of Africa Fashion Show. The African Explosion was the organization’s last event of the semester, but there will be an interest meeting  April 29.

Wilson said she hopes the organization’s events help spread an awareness of the diversity already on campus and bring people together.

“The African community is really one big family,” Wilson said. “That’s what I want this organization to bring to campus.”

According to Wilson, flyers will be posted about the interest meeting. Wilson said she encourages students to look out for bigger and better events next semester.

Sage Shavers can be contacted at [email protected].