Water main break causes campus issues

Marshall University was hit with a disruption in its day-to-day operations Tuesday for the third time in two weeks.

Marshall University Communications office notified students, faculty and staff of a water outage Tuesday morning affecting most of the buildings along Third Avenue.

Students, faculty and staff were advised to use facilities in buildings along Fifth Avenue until water was restored to the buildings along Third.

The estimated restoration time was scheduled for 2 p.m.

However, later that evening, University Communications sent out another notification, not to confirm water was restored, but to let students, faculty and staff know there was now a water boil advisory affecting the university.

Laura Jordan, external affairs manager for West Virginia American Water, said the company issued a precautionary water boil advisory and that the advisory is still, affect for 19,000 American Water customers in the Huntington area. 

Due to the boil water advisory, the Department of Housing and Residence Life notified on –campus students of the advisory and that clean bottled water would be provided at the front desks of residence halls.

After the initial alert concerning the water boil advisory, Sodexo took precautionary actions closing down the Memorial Student Center food court. However, other dining facilities remained open.

General Manager of Sodexo Cheryl King met with her leadership team immediately to make sure they took all of the right precautionary measures to ensure the safety of students, faculty and staff.

“It’s totally safe to eat on campus,” King said.

Sodexo made arrangements for ice and water to be delivered to campus so students could continue to use dining hall facilities.

The university encouraged students to take caution with any water products and said the boil advisory would be in affect until sometime Wednesday.

Darius Booker can be contacted at [email protected].