Joan C. Edwards Chair of Orthopedics establishes scholarship for medical students

Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine founding chair of the Department of Orthopedics and vice dean Ali Oliashirazi, M.D. and his wife Corrina Oliashirazi pledged to fund a new endowed scholarship for the school.

According to the press release, dean of the School of Medicine Joseph I. Shapiro, M.D.said he is absolutely delighted to see this selfless act of generosity and leadership from one of their most prominent physicians.

Oliashirazi is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in total joint replacement. Oliashirazi graduated from George Washington University School of Medicine where he was valedictorian and then went on to complete his residency in orthopedic surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida. Oliashirazi is a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons and diplomat of the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery. Oliashirazi often gives lectures on hip and knee replacement surgery both nationally and internationally.

The scholarship Oliashirazi and his wife are funding will be known as the Oliashirazi Family Scholarship. It was established through the school’s Adopt a Medical Student program. The scholarship is specifically designated for first-year medical students at Marshall who have overcome hardship in order to attend medical school. The Oliashirazi Family Scholarship is renewable for three additional years, as long as the student(s) show normal academic progress.

Oliashirazi and his wife reside in Huntington and have four children.

Logan Parkulo can be contacted at [email protected].