Speed dating event aims to encourage healthy relationships

Alpha Phi Omega, a nationally recognized service fraternity, is hosting “Be My Valentine Speed Dating” Friday at 8 p.m. in the Memorial Student Center Room BE5.

Chris Monsell, chapter secretary said Alpha Phi Omega wanted to provide a different opportunity for people to be able to mingle, without having to go out of the way.

“Its going to be a nice place for people who may want to meet other people for Valentine’s Day but not want to go out to the bars to meet somebody,” Monsell said.

The event will not only provide an opportunity to mingle but also serves a good cause in helping Alpha Phi Omega collect donations for Branches Domestic Violence Shelter in Huntington.

Branches assists those in need of escaping abusive relationships as well provides a 24-hour hotline for people who need immediate help.

Like Branches, Alpha Phi Omega wishes to create an environment to help college students start healthy dating relationships.

Monsell said Alpha Phi Omega wants to create a safe space for people to meet people who want to go on a date together.

During an evening of speed dating, students will be able to move from table to table having two minute conversations with other students, in hopes to find a match by the end of the night.

“We hope students will come out and have a good time,” Monsell said.

The suggested attire for the evening will be business casual and a suggested tangible donation can be taken at the door.

Alpha Phi Omega will collect the following items for Branches Domestic Violence Shelter, freezer storage bags, garbage bags, laundry detergent, dryer sheets, toothbrushes, toothpaste, cleaning supplies, deodorant, feminine hygiene products and other products listed on the Branches website.

Alpha Phi Omega plans to host future events in the semester to continue to help local non-profits in the Huntington Area.

The service fraternity currently has 13 members and 13 pledges.

Darius Booker can be contacted at [email protected].