Final Coffee with the Mayor for the fall semester

Mayor Steve Williams returned to Marshall University’s campus Tuesday for the final Coffee with the Mayor event for the semester.

Williams said talks with students this semester have confirmed that students are residents of the city and not just Marshall.

“Students are more aware of what is going on in the community,” Williams said.

Williams said students are not just interested in what is going on at the university, but are more interested in what is happening in the downtown area and other areas near campus.

Williams said many of the issues Huntington’s citizens have mentioned to him in meetings have also been brought up by students.

Many of the improvements around campus come directly from talks the mayor has had with students, such as additional lighting near campus and rental property inspections near Marshall.

Williams mentioned the Huntington Innovation Project, which is part of the plan to revitalize the city.

The plan includes the revitalization of areas near campus, such as along Hal Greer Boulevard and the Highlawn area.

The plan will bring green infrastructure to reduce street flooding, provide new recreational areas and construct additional housing for Marshall University medical students.

The plan aims to replace dilapidated housing with newer, more vibrant housing near Hal Greer Boulevard and the Fairfield neighborhood. Street upgrades and additional improvements for pedestrians and bikers were also mentioned.

Williams spoke of an interview with Vice News, who were in the state during President Obama’s trip to discuss drug dependency.

“I hope they take away that we are trying to save lives,” Williams said. “The community is banding together and doing what cities several times our size are doing.”

Although next year is an election year for the mayor, Williams said he still plans to be on campus for Coffee with the Mayor events.

John Cole Glover can be contacted at [email protected].