Presidential candidates debate student questions

Presidential+and+vice+presidential+candidates+debate+issues+Tuesday+in+Smith+Hall.+

Skyler Hunt

Presidential and vice presidential candidates debate issues Tuesday in Smith Hall.

The Marshall University presidential candidates participated in a debate Tuesday answering questions from Marshall students.

Candidates, along with their potential vice presidents, were asked a series of questions ranging from “What is your first order of business after coming into office?” to “What did you look for when picking your cabinet?”

Each candidate asked each other questions to receive more detail on their platforms or more detail on the previous questions they were asked.

“I wish we could have gone a little bit deeper with the questions that we were asked,” Duncan Waugaman, student body president said. “I wish they would have asked implementation of our platforms and how we were going to get it done.”

After Paige Dodrill, elections commissioner and Matt James, executive adviser for Student Government Association, read prewritten questions, the audience was allowed to write down and turn in questions of their own to be asked.

Some of those questions were “What do you like best about the other candidates platforms?” and “How do you plan on helping the professional colleges become more active on campus such as the Pharmacy School and the Medical School?”

Students also wrote whether their questions were toward a specific team, or if their questions were open to every team.

David Oye, presidential candidate and Luke Cooley, vice presidential candidate, are the youngest out of the presidential teams.

“We have been exposed to a lot of leadership roles on and off campus,” Oye said.” I believe being young gives us an advantage because freshmen will be more willing to come to us since we are younger.”

The final debate will take place in the Memorial Student Center noon Monday.