“What Were They Wearing?”

Semoni Weaver, Reporter

For sexual assault awareness month, Marshall University has created events geared towards emboldening survivors without shining such a dampening light on the month. 

Marshall’s program coordinator for the violence prevention and response program, Alyssa Hager has established this year’s “What Were You Wearing?” event. It was held this past Monday, Apr. 11 at the Visual Arts Center. This event was a survivor art installation in partnership with Cabell County’s Contact Rape Crisis Center.  

“The installation is a visual representation of what survivors were wearing at the time of their assault(s) and a reminder to audiences that a person’s clothing choice is never an “invitation” for sexual assault,” Hager said.  

Based on the submissions received, Hager and her staff recreated outfits for the exhibit that mirrored the descriptions of various survivors’ stories that were described.  

National Denim Day is coming up on Wednesday, Apr. 13, where the VPR program will pass out buttons throughout campus at the Wellness Center, Women’s and Gender Center, Counseling Center and Student Affairs Office.  

“The ‘Walk a Mile in Her Shoes’ event that Marshall University has done in the past felt a little gender specific, and I also did not like the idea of having men parade around in heels because I do not believe it really proves anything,” Hager said. “So instead, this year we are taking an approach and saying let’s make it non-gender specific and let’s make sure that people do not feel like they have to have anything in particular to be able to walk in and support our event.”  

The “Walk the Walk” event this year will take place on Apr. 14 from four to six p.m. at the Memorial Student Center and will offer the first 140 participants a free T-shirt. Cabell County’s CONTACT Rape Crisis Center will also accept donations at the event for children and adult coloring books, squishy toys and sensory/fidget toys.