Meal Swipe Exchange Program Running Low

Semoni Weaver, Reporter

The Marco’s Meal Shares initiative, established by Marshall University’s Student Affairs Office, has run low on meal swipes needed to provide food for college students experiencing food insecurity. 

The Marco’s Meal Share started back in 2019 as a resolution passed in the Student Government Association—led at the time by President Stephanie Rogner and Vice President Anna Williams—in collaboration with Sodexo and the Information Technology Office.  

This initiative was made in an effort to provide free meals for those students without access to a sufficient amount of affordable, quality and nutritious food. Students with an operative meal plan on campus can share meal swipes online with other students in need.  

The shared meal swipes give students entry to the Harless Dining Hall. When filing for a meal, students are contacted by the Student Affairs Office to discuss support and eligibility for the program. Requests for meals then get distributed based off availability.  

Although the Marco’s Meal Shares do not currently accept monetary donations, they do accept non-perishable items for the Marshall foodbank and Facing Hunger foodbank as well.  

“We have the Marshall Cares Act Emergency Grant that any student can donate money towards for Covid-19 relief funding,” said Michelle Biggs, assistant dean of student affairs.  

Biggs has tried to advertise the progression of Marco’s Meal Shares through emailing individual advisors and Marshall Housing and Residence Life, creating a social media presence and word of mouth. 

Any student with any form of Marshall meal plan can donate up to two meal swipes per semester.  

The following link will direct them on how to do so: Marco’s Meal Share – Student Affairs (marshall.edu)