American Red Cross looks to expand membership

More stories from By Allyson Carr

Students donated blood for the American Red Cross in the Memorial Student Center Wednesday.

Marshall University’s American Red Cross Club is beginning the semester with a new president and with hopes of expanding membership.

Rick Allen, sophomore criminal justice and psychology major, is taking on a new responsibility as the club’s president after being involved with the club for roughly a year.

Allen said he wants more members in order to do more as a group.

“I’m going to hit recruitment hard this semester,” Allen said. “With more members, there will be less of a load on the few members we do have.”

There are many aspects of the American Red Cross that the club could get involved with, such as, disaster relief, health and safety training and education.

There’s always a great need to donate blood

— Brian Glenn, collection supervisor, American Red Cross

Volunteers are critical to the club because there are only a few members. During a blood drive, the club usually sees six to eight volunteers every hour.

Miranda Kalaskey, senior biology pre-dental major, volunteers regularly. She said she had the opportunity to get involved with her sorority, who volunteers its time to help at the blood drives.

“Volunteering makes me feel like I am helping, like I am making a difference,” Kalaskey said.

Brian Glenn, collection supervisor, said donating blood is important because it is constantly needed. One donation can save up to three lives.

“You never know when someone will need it, family member, friend, coworker,” said Glenn. “There’s always a great need to donate blood.”

The club meets the first Tuesday of every month at 7 p.m.

Allyson Carr can be contacted at [email protected].