Black Out Day

Students gather at the Memorial Student Center, to kick off Black History Month.

Marshall University’s Office of Student Affairs, Black United Students, Student Government Association and the Campus Activities Board sponsored Black Out Day Wednesday on Marshall’s campus.

Students of all demographics were encouraged to wear black to kick off Black History Month.

Adanne Gibbs, communication disorders major at Marshall University, said events such as Black Out Day empower her.

“I love that it is not only black students that get involved with events like this,” Gibbs said. “It is easy for someone to not participate when it is something outside of their normal or outside of their comfort zone, but to see so many students wearing all black, whether they meant to or not, really says something about Marshall University as a whole.”

Students gathered around the fountain at 4 p.m. to take pictures in their black attire to showcase unity and awareness for Black History Month on campus.

Deshonda Stewart, athletic training major at Marshall University, said Black History Month is her favorite time of the year because of all the learning opportunities afforded to her to grow deeper into her culture.

“Being an African American woman in today’s society can serve as a challenge, so it is really important that men and women get the proper education about what it means to celebrate Black History Month,” Stewart said. “I’m constantly learning more and more about who I am and what my people before me have done so that I am able to attend a school full of diverse individuals. That alone makes me proud to be who I am as an individual and helps me to celebrate differences in life.”

An essay contest was made available to students to write 500 words to be submitted before Black Out Day in recognition of the Black Lives Matter movement.

Following the day’s event, students gathered at the Memorial Student Center at 6 p.m. for light refreshments and announcement of the essay winner.

Christian Davis can be contacted at [email protected]