65th Annual Alpha Xi Delta Strawberry Breakfast

Elayna Conard

Alpha Xi Delta strawberry breakfast is available to customers for eat in and carry out.

Marshall University students, faculty and community members enjoyed breakfast Thursday at the 65th annual Alpha Xi Delta Strawberry Breakfast.

The sorority welcomed guests into its home to share with them its honored tradition. The chocolate covered strawberries and homemade strawberry butter are as symbolic of spring on Marshall University’s campus as the turning on of the fountain.

Chapter life Vice President Kasey Painter said the tradition brings pride to current and past sorority members. Different from other Greek activities, the Strawberry Breakfast has made a name for itself outside of the Greek community because it brings so much joy to any and everyone walking in front of the sorority house on Fifth Avenue.

The Strawberry Breakfast started as a way for Alpha Xi members to bond with their mothers. The mothers of Alpha Xi members and alumni volunteer to help plan, cook and serve at the spring event. The money raised through ticket sales goes to Alpha Xi Delta’s “Mother’s Club.” The club allows mothers to provide a fund for the sorority members to use throughout the year as they need it.

Angie Wells, mother of an Alpha Xi Delta member, volunteered at her fourth Strawberry Breakfast Thursday.

“I like to spend the time with Breckin (daughter) and see the other moms,” Wells said as she filled plates at the buffet line.

Alum and mother of a current member of the sorority, Autumn Poluch said the breakfast brings back memories from her days living at the house in the ‘80s.

“I stayed at the house last night to help prepare for the breakfast…Peyton (daughter) lives in the same room upstairs that I did when I was in college,” Poluch said when she reflected on how the tradition continues to keep her involved in the life of the sorority.

Members of the sorority said they were honored to serve their famous strawberry butter to guests, but are also proud of accomplishing the planning and execution of the event during such a busy time in the semester.

“We start organizing and planning the event right as the spring semester starts…then this week have prepared something everyday,” vice president Kasey Painter said.

The strawberry butter was made Tuesday night, the strawberries were dipped in chocolate Wednesday night and the eggs, pancakes and sausage were cooked early Thursday morning. 

Just as most mothers say, Angie Wells turned to the other moms Thursday morning and said with a smile on her face, “This really can’t happen if it weren’t for us.”

Elayna Conard can be contacted at [email protected].