Softball’s Dixon on the path to a legendary career at Marshall

Marshall+University+junior+pitcher+Jordan+Dixon+throws+a+pitch+in+a+game+last+season.+Dixon%E2%80%99s+33+wins+last+season+tied+the+program+single-season+program+record+leading+to+her+being+All-Conference+USA+Second+Team.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Marshall University junior pitcher Jordan Dixon throws a pitch in a game last season. Dixon’s 33 wins last season tied the program single-season program record leading to her being All-Conference USA Second Team.

File Photo

File Photo

File Photo

Despite being in just her third season as a member of the Marshall University softball program, pitcher Jordan Dixon has already accumulated a large number of accomplishments in her tenure.

Members of the team said they have enjoyed having Dixon to lean on while the team is in the field.

Raquel Escareno, senior outfielder, said “It is very relaxing to have Jordan on the mound because we know she works hard to get those strikeouts and groundballs for really easy outs on defense,” senior outfielder Raquel Escareno, said.

Escareno said Dixon is a player who fires up the team down the stretch of games when they need motivation the most.

“She brings that fire that we need when it is crunch time, and she brings a lot of competitiveness and fuels the fire for our team,” Escareno said.

Since joining the program, Dixon has been a workhorse for the Herd, pitching in 103 games, including 82 starts in her first two years with the program. Through 35 games this season, Dixon has 24 starts and appeared in 30 games.

“She shows that she can be a workhorse for the team,” Escareno said.  “She loves what she does and she works hard.”

Dixon has encountered a lot of success in her seasons so far at Marshall.  As a freshman Dixon was named to the Conference USA All-Freshman team and the conference’s all-tournament team. As a sophomore last season, Dixon earned All-Conference USA Second Team and was named to the NFCA All-Region Third Team.

Dixon is also closing in on becoming the all time strikeout leader at Marshall despite having another season of eligibility remaining after this season.  Dixon currently all time in strikeouts and will look to break that record in the near future.

“It is definitely exciting because I’m up there with some of the top pitchers in Marshall’s history,” Dixon said.  “And I look forward to breaking even more records.”

Dixon said she is still trying to improve even after all her success last year when she tied the program record for wins in a season with 33 and posted the second most strikeouts in a single season in Marshall history with 308.

“I have been developing new pitches and working with pitching coach (Chanda) Bell a lot in the offseason,” Dixon said.

Dixon will look to continue to build on her career accolades 1 p.m. Saturday when Marshall takes on the University of North Carolina at Charlotte at Dot Hicks Field.

Christian Hisman can be contacted at [email protected]