Marshall falls to WVU in extra innings, 5-4

Ryan Fischer

Marshall University freshman Andrew Zban takes the plate earlier this season.

Marshall University’s baseball team (15-12) fell to in-state rival West Virginia University (15-11), 5-4, Tuesday in extra innings at Appalachian Power Park.

The Herd scored its first run in the first inning of the game off a wild pitch, which gave Marshall the 1-0 lead over the Mountaineers.

In the top of the sixth inning, West Virginia scored its first run of the game off a triple that scored a runner at second base.

Marshall responded quickly in the bottom of the sixth by adding two more runs to the board to put the Herd ahead, 3-1.

However, the Mountaineers fought back in the top of the eighth with a two-run double to tie it and another run off an error to put West Virginia up 4-3.

Marshall responded again in the bottom of the eighth to tie the score up at four from a single up the middle by junior Tyler Ratliff that scored senior Aaron Bossi from second.

However, the Herd lost the game in extra innings after an error by the left fielder allowed a Mountaineer runner to score and gave West Virginia the lead, 5-4.

Despite the loss, Marshall freshman Josh Shapiro went 5.2 innings with zero hits, zero runs and nine strikeouts.

Shapiro had a career-high nine strikeouts in the game.

Marshall head coach Jeff Waggoner said he thought Shapiro pitched really well for the team.

“It all starts with your freshmen that did great,” Waggoner said. “He did a great job pitching and giving us an opportunity to win. We had every opportunity to win and we just didn’t get the job done.”

Senior JD Hammer said while the team is upset about the loss, it needs to continue to look forward.

“It was good to see Josh compete today,” Hammer said. “He did his job and gave us a chance to win. We need to come out this weekend with an edge and take the series against UTSA.”

Marshall’s next game is on the road against the University of Texas at San Antonio 7 p.m. Friday at Roadrunner Field for a three-game Conference USA series.

The Herd is 5-4 this season against conference opponents.

The Roadrunners are 11-17 this season, including 2-7 in conference action.

Brittanie Fowler can be contacted at [email protected].