Out of this world lecture coming to campus

Anthony Davis, Reporter

Esteemed Hubble astrophysicist and author, Mario Livio, will lecture on Marshall University’s campus at 3 p.m. Wednesday in the Memorial Student Center.

Livio, an astrophysicist with the Space Telescope Science Institute, will lecture on the topic of his latest book, “Brilliant Blunders.” The best-selling book discusses major mistakes that well-known forefathers of modern science made while making significant discoveries, according to Livio’s website.

The Society of Yeager Scholars and the Marshall Honors College sponsored the lecture, which will take place in Room BE5 of the student center at 3 p.m. Wednesday. The event, which is open to the public, will include a book signing and a reception after the lecture.

All of the blunders discussed are related to the evolution of life, the earth and of the universe as a whole, according to Livio’s website.

Livio said in a press release he will describe the blunders and their importance to science.

“I will also scrutinize the various types of blunders and attempt to identify their causes,” Livio said. “Most importantly, however, I’ll argue that blunders are not only inevitable, but rather part and parcel of progress in science and other creative enterprises.”

Nicki LoCascio, interim dean of the Honors College, said in a press release she encourages people of all interests to attend the lecture.

“Dr. Livio’s lecture should be an eye-opener for many,” LoCascio said. “Science is often taught as a controlled, step-wise and logical progression toward the truth. In fact, his described blunders account for some of the greatest scientific advancement. ‘Brilliant Blunders’ is a fascinating read for everyone.”

Mario Livio has worked at the Space Telescope Science Institute since 1991, according to the STSI. The STSI is the institute that conducts the program of the Hubble Space Telescope, as well as the James Webb Space Telescope that will be launched in 2018.

Livio has done fundamental research that looks into topics such as extrasolar planets, the emergence of intelligent life in the universe, supernova explosions and cosmology, according to STSI.

Livio also published more that 400 scientific publications and was featured on “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.”

Copies of “Brilliant Blunders” are available at the Marshall University Bookstore.

Anthony Davis can be contacted at [email protected].