Marshall women’s basketball team rolls over FIU, advances to quarterfinals

Marshall University senior Leah Scott goes for a lay-up Feb. 27 against Middle Tennesse State University.

Ryan Fischer

Ryan Fischer

Marshall University’s women’s basketball team defeated Florida International University, 76-44, Wednesday and advanced to the quarterfinals of the Conference USA Tournament.

The victory represented a team-best performance in several categories for the Herd this season.

The 32-point margin of victory is the largest for the Herd in any conference game this season, and Marshall also knocked down a season-high 12 3-pointers after tying its previous season-high mark of 11 in its regular season finale.

Senior forward Leah Scott led the Herd with 18 points as she tied her career-high in made 3-pointers with three for the second consecutive game. Scott shot 5-8 from the field, 3-4 from beyond the arc and 5-5 from the free throw line, while also pulling down a game-high nine rebounds.

Freshman guard Shayna Gore mirrored her performance from the team’s regular season finale, scoring double digits off the bench for the second straight game. Gore matched Scott’s mark of three 3-pointers to go with three assists and three rebounds.

Guard Kiana Evans and forward Talequia Hamilton notched double figures with 10 points apiece; Hamilton did so going 5-5 from the field. The duo combined for nine rebounds and four assists.

Marshall wasted no time establishing an early lead in the contest, scoring 29 points in the opening 10 minutes of action.

Marshall took a 17-point advantage into the second quarter, and by halftime, it had pushed the lead to 23 after allowing just nine points in the second period. After entering the half up 44-21, Marshall coasted through the third quarter before nailing the coffin shut in the fourth as it outscored Florida International, 20-9.

Aside from its advantage on the offensive end, the Herd capitalized on the Panthers mistakes. The Herd won the turnover battle 12-9, but the Herd maximized its opportunities off the turnovers, outscoring FIU 17-3 in points as a result of a turnover.

Overall, the Herd posted a 44 percent shooting mark from the field and assisted on 22 of its 28 made field goals.

The Herd faces Western Kentucky University in the tournament quarterfinals 8:30 p.m. Thursday in Birmingham, Alabama.