Clinical and translational science program to benefit Appalachian region

The deadline is approaching for applications to Marshall University’s Clinical and Translational Science Program.

All applications are due by Tuesday, March 1. Details on admission requirements can be found at the Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine website. Graduate recruitment and communication coordinator Diana Maue said the goal of the program is to equip students with the information and training necessary to translate biomedical advancements into care that meets the individual needs of patients.

“I am excited about this program for many reasons, but one is that the program combines the best of two worlds: those of biomedical research and medicine,” Maue said. “Each is important in its own way, but neither is where it needs to be without the role of clinical trials to ‘translate’ the research from the lab to better care for the patient.”

Maue said the program emphasizes opportunities for participants to improve patient care by performing clinical trials in the Appalachian region, increasing the quality of life for citizens in rural West Virginia areas.

The program requires students to complete a rural clinic experience during the summer after the first two semesters are complete.

Maue said this opportunity to help further develop medical care in Appalachian is particularly meaningful for in-state students.

Maue said the program will strengthen the candidacy of students applying to medical school while offering a foundation of knowledge in the face of changing medical and technological developments.

“Marshall is fortunate to offer this program, as it is a beautiful opportunity to see the advances in biomedical research improve patient care,” Maue said. “I encourage students to think long-term to see how they and their future families will benefit from such advances and personalized care.”

No entrance exam is required. The first class will be available in Fall 2016.

Rebecca Turnbull can be contacted at [email protected].