Research internship for minority students deadline approaching

The deadline is approaching for applications to this year’s Biomedical Sciences Summer Research Internship for Minority Students (SRIMS) at Marshall University.

All applications are due by Friday. Applications are available online.

SRIMS coordinator, Kelly Carothers said the program intends to give promising underrepresented minority students in the sciences an opportunity to conduct graduate-level research, while offering support from mentors and a peer network to which they may not otherwise have access. 

Carothers also said this opportunity is important because diversity in the biomedical workforce is necessary to deal with disparities in health-related issues.

“Since Marshall University and the Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine are committed to enhancing diversity and expanding development and attraction of medical-related business to West Virginia, the SRIMS program is a great way to introduce talented students to this research,” Carothers said.

Carothers said SRIMS ultimately gives minority students from Marshall and other universities an opportunity to enhance their academic record for graduate school, strengthen their connection and persistence in the scientific research field and establish firmer ties to the Appalachian region.

Students will present their research at the West Virginia Summer Research Symposium during the last week of the program.

A stipend of $3,000 will be provided to each participant for the nine-week experience, including free room and board and assistance with travel.

The internship will last from May 23 through July 25.

Rebecca Turnbull can be contacted at [email protected].