Women’s Studies Masquerade Ball and Silent Auction

The women’s studies’ second annual Masquerade Ball and Silent Auction will be 6:30 p.m. Saturday in the Don Morris room of the Memorial Student Center.

The event will feature snacks, non-alcoholic beverages, an open wine bar for 21-and-up and a chance to win door prizes and bid in the silent auction.

Women’s studies director Laura Michele Diener said she would like everyone to come.

“It’s going to be a very good time,” Diener said.

Tickets are $15 for students, $35 for non-students or two for $60. Faculty members who cannot attend are encouraged to sponsor a student ticket.

Freshman Brandy Smith said she is excited to get dressed up and attend the Masquerade Ball.

“I’ve had my outfit picked out since forever now,” Smith said. “I think it’s going to be a lot of fun.”

Smith is not of age to drink from the open bar, but she said she is still ecstatic to enjoy the other refreshments the event has to offer.

“I hope they have cool Halloween themed snacks,” Smith said. “I’m just excited to see what it’s all about.”

Proceeds will benefit the women’s studies program and SAFE Inc., a domestic violence shelter based in Welch, West Virginia. Smith said this is one reason she is supportive of the event.

“I really like that they’re using this event as a way to actually raise money for a good cause,” Smith said.

Last year, the women’s studies program was able to present SAFE with a $1,500 donation.

Tickets can still be pre-purchased until 3 p.m. Friday in the MSC lobby.

Kabz James can be contacted at [email protected].