Halloween Bowl-A-Thon helps raise money for Developmental Therapy Center

In July 2014, the Morris building in Huntington suffered from a fire that destroyed several businesses, including local favorites like Backyard Pizza. Residents who need a helping hand were disapointed after learning the fire also destroyed the Developmental Therapy Center.

Huntington’s DTC provides occupational, physical and speech therapy for adults and children. The 501(c)(3) nonprofit was reduced to setting up a temporary clinic for its clients following the fire. The center purchased the Ronk Building on Seventh Avenue last October and has since been working to have the building ready to open for business.

“We hope to be in it by December or January,” said Leslie Comer-Porter, director at Developmental Therapy Center.

To help raise the funds for the new business, DTC partnered with St. Joseph Central Catholic High School in Huntington to host a Halloween themed Bowl-A-Thon at Strike Zone Saturday.

“All the St. Joesph kids come out with the special needs kids and help them bowl,” Comer-Porter said.

Proceeds from the Bowl-A-Thon were split between DTC and St. Joseph High School.

Students and clients were split into teams of four to six. Participants dressed up in Halloween costumes and enjoyed Halloween treats.

“It’s a good charity event and it’s fun,”  said Hunter Adams, St. Joseph sophomore. “And I like to bowl.”

The DTC hopes to have a fully equipped gym in its new facility, complete with a ball pit, climbing wall and a scooter board ramp that can all be used for therapy.

“The money we raise, we’re going to use it to buy therapy equipment,” Comer-Porter said.

This was the second year for the Bowl-A-Thon; both organizations hope to continue the Bowl-A-Thon in the future.

“It was fun,” Adams said. “It’s fun to be a motivator and a good supporter.”

MacKenzi Kyle can be contacted at [email protected].