Presidential Candidates visit Marshall before final choosing

After a national search, Marshall University’s Presidential Search Committee has identified three finalists who will visit both Marshall campuses this week.

The presidential finalists include: Dr. Jerome A. Gilbert, provost and executive vice president of Mississippi State University; Dr. Christopher G. Maples, president of Oregon Institute of Technology; and Dr. Denis A. Wiesenburg, professor of marine science and former provost/vice president for academic affairs of the University of Southern Mississippi.

Students, faculty, staff and the public will have the opportunity to meet each candidate during separate community receptions throughout the week. Marshall graduate student from the Charleston campus, Bryanna Doughty, said the visit to both campuses is needed.

“It’s important the candidates get a holistic view of Marshall,” said Doughty. “It’s just as important for the candidate to meet the students to make sure it’s a good fit for both.”

The Huntington campus receptions will be held at 6-7:30 p.m. in the Arthur Weisburg Family Applied Engineering Complex. Dr. Wiesenburg will be present Tuesday, Dr. Gilbert on Wednesday, and Dr. Maples on Thursday. Charleston campus visits are from 2-3:30 respectively.

The receptions will be broadcast online for those unable to attend. Online surveys for each candidate are available on the presidential search website for opinions and feedback.

The presidential search has been ongoing since last spring. The search committee chose the three candidates with the help from an outside search committee, AGB Search Inc.

Junior nursing student, Courtney Lagowski, said it is important for the candidates to visit.

“The people, community and staff that are actively involved with the Marshall campus need to see and meet these candidates to see what to expect for the future,” said Lagowski.

The on-campus meetings are part of the final stage in the presidential search. After visits are complete and feedback is reviewed, the committee will present its recommendations to the Board of Governors for the final selection.

The name of the selected candidate will be sent to the West Virginia Higher Education Policy commission for final approval.

Michael Sellards, Charmain of the Search Committee and Chairman of the Board of Governors, said he anticipates the new president could be on board by the spring semester.