Community Health Fair promotes a healthy life style

The path to a healthy life style includes both eating healthy and exercise. Several programs were at the Marshall University Community Health Fair as advocates for exercise on Tuesday.

The fair kicked off at 10 a.m. and lasted until 3 p.m. The fair was held on the Memorial Student Center Plaza. Various departments from Marshall Health and other health professions were in attendance.

The day of Exercise is Medicine focused more on informing students on how to be healthy rather than having specific activities, although there was a group run at 6 p.m. in the Rec Center and another will be held at 6 p.m. on Thursday.

Currently, there are 29 million Americans diagnosed with diabetes. It is estimated that there are another 8 million people who diabetes, but have not been diagnosed according to the Center for Disease Control. Diabetes is linked to the amount of sugar people eat.

According to RN and diabetes educator, Gerry Bryant, it is important for young people to be aware of their situations. If young people are not healthy right now, they can be healthy later in life.

“We want to spread awareness of what people are eating,” said nutrition education graduate student, Matthew Robinson. “It’s for your well-being, it’s about a change in life style.”

Marshall has several services available to students, including bike rentals from the Rec Center.

It is recommended by the American Heart Association to exercise 150 minutes a week, which includes cardio exercises such as running, swimming and/or biking. Resistance training also helps to reduce the risk of heart issues.

“We want people to understand that activity is important for heart health,” Department Administrator, Barry Whant said. “Physical activity helps keep the heart muscle active for good heart health.”

The Exercise is Medicine schedule can be found at marshall.edu/EIM. There will be several events until Friday.

Matthew Prandoni can be contacted at [email protected].