87 new faculty members introduced at first general meeting of the year

Ashley+Sodosky

The first General Faculty Meeting takes place in the Joan C. Edwards Playhouse.

A total of 87 new administration and faculty members were formally introduced at the first General Faculty Meeting of the school year yesterday, Sept. 22.

Faculty Senate Chair, Dr. Larry Stickler, gave welcoming remarks and regarded President Gary White’s absence from the meeting.

Dr. Sherri Smith, Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of Undergraduate Studies, introduced new administrative staff and was followed by the introduction of new faculty by individual college deans.

“The purpose of this meeting is to introduce new faculty to the Marshall community,” Stickler said.

The College of Business, College of Education and Professional Development, College of Health Professions, College of Information Technology and Engineering, College of Liberal Arts and College of Science all had a large number of new staff members to introduce.

The College of Art and Media introduced four new faculty members including visiting assistant professor of music, Jesse Nolan. Nolan teaches three Jazz classes this semester and said he is enjoying being faculty at Marshall.

“It’s an awesome opportunity for me,” said Nolan. “A great place for me.”

The Joan C. Edwards school of Medicine had the largest number of new staff members adding 29 new members bringing the staff to 240 full time members as and 180 residents and fellows.

This is the right place for higher education, this is the right place if you have an illness where you want to be helped.”

— Dr. Kevin Yingling

The Marshall School of Pharmacy added four new staff members to their program. School of Pharmacy Dean, Dr. Kevin Yingling, said he appreciates the opportunity to be at Marshall.

“It is quite impressive to see the breath and the complexity of this university,” Yingling said. “This is the right place for higher education, this is the right place if you have an illness where you want to be helped.”

University Libraries was the last to be presented in the meeting and introduced one new faculty member.

Stickler ended the meeting with a State of the University Address in absence of Interim President White, who was in Logan for personal issues. White plans to speak to faculty at a later date.

Stickler stated strings of comments from faculty members about the university’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.

“The bottom line is, we have dedicated faculty committed to student success,” Stickler said.

Budget cuts, transparency issues and low salaries were some of the issues brought up during the address. Stickler said it is important for faculty members to discuss issues with administration.

Stickler made comments regarding the presidential search.

Stickler said that faculty is urged to meet new candidates in October during campus visits.

“New presidency can be scary or it can be exciting, we don’t know,” Stickler said. “That’s why we need your help.”

Staff met directly after the meeting for a reception to honor the new university personal featuring music by Rachel Ward, Administrative Secretary Sr. with Faculty Senate.

Ashley Sodosky can be contacted at [email protected].