United Way brings health awareness to campus

Aundrea Horsley, Reporter

Marshall University’s annual United Way of the River Cities fundraising campaign continued Wednesday with the United Way health fair at the Memorial Student Center.

Attendees of the health fair were given the chance to receive pulmonary function tests and check blood glucose, blood pressure, BMI and flexibility screenings by 15 different campus organizations.

Campaign coordinator Megan Archer said the aim of the health fair is to raise awareness about United Way and its campaign.

“We don’t have a monetary goal this year,” Archer said. “Last year we only had 52 employees participate in the campaign, so this year we have a participation goal instead.”

Archer said the money collected would help both the university and the community.

“Every dollar raised stays right here in the community,” Archer said. “Marshall is Huntington. When the community thrives, the university thrives. It makes both the community and school better.”

Archer said this year the campaign implemented a new way to donate.

“Marshall faculty members can donate online for the first time,” Archer said. “They can enter their Marshall email address with the password GOHERD to enter the ePledge site.”

Tickets were previously sold for a chance to win an autographed football at the health fair signed by quarterback Rakeem Cato and coach Doc Holliday, won by Terri Runyon, office of the registrar records assistant. The drawing raised close to $500 for the campaign.

The United Way campaign ends Friday.

Aundrea Horsley can be contacted at [email protected].