Students needed for Peer Mentor positions

The opportunity to become a peer mentor is now available to all students with a GPA of at least 2.75.

“In years past, we have only accepted enough peer mentors to have only one per class. This year, anyone who met the GPA requirement was accepted. Most of the UNI 100 classes have two peer mentors”, said Matt James, Assistant Dean of Student Affairs.

UNI 100 is an eight-week course required for all incoming freshman. The course is deigned to help those freshman adjust to college life by helping students learn study habits and informing them about different resources on campus for various needs.

The course curriculum also includes icebreakers for students to feel comfortable and help facilitate friendships with classmates. Students also get the opportunity to learn or practice their public speaking skills.

We’re excited that the plan is fun and academic.” 

— Matt James

Among the different lessons and information given to students, some faculty members found that one of their most valuable resources are older students. “One of the critical additions to the class is the peer mentor. They make or break the class, ”James said.

“In 2010 MU adopted a new retention plan. The plan was to revise the old UNI course by basing it on feedback from students and giving the opportunity for upper-classmen to lead the classes. We’re excited that the plan is fun and academic”, James said

The idea not only places freshman in a non-traditional setting, it teaches older students leadership skills.

Casey Adkins can be contacted at [email protected]