Black, Payne perform junior recital

Marshall University trumpet students Michael Black and Tyler Payne performed their junior recitals Monday.

Payne began the recital concert with “Concerto in F minor for Trumpet and Piano” by Oskar Bohme. Black performed next with “Trumpet Concerto in Eb Major” by Johann Nepomuk Hummel. Payne then performed “Concerto in D Major” by Johann Friedrich Fasch, and Black played “Celebrating Harvest” edited by Sun Jun. Then, Payne performed “Légende” by Georges Enesco.

Black and Payne closed the recital by performing “Melody With Echo: from Sonata for 2 Trumpets” by Robin Holloway. The song, Black said, was written for one trumpeter to play backstage while one trumpeter is onstage to create an echo sound.

Payne said he has performed with Black since their freshman year of high school.

“We’ve sat next to each other for almost every concert at all county, all district, stuff like that,” Payne said. “We were both at the same level, so we would stand right next to each other.”

|Black said his influence to pursue a career in music education came from his high school band director.

“I was influenced by my band director in high school and I saw how he could help children,” Black said. “I wanted to do the same.”

Black and Payne were both accompanied by Mark Smith.

Mikaela Keener can be contacted at [email protected].