Chris Gardner
Spring Commencement to Feature Inspiring Speaker
Sarah Davis, News Editor • April 23, 2024
Walk For Hope Flyer

Courtesy of Phi Alpha
Walk for Hope to Shine Light on Suicide Prevention
Baylee Parsons, Copy Editor • April 19, 2024

Softball Smashes the Spartans

The Herd’s two wins of the weekend came over the Spartans.
Courtesy of HerdZone

Softball wrapped up its season-opening games in Boca Rotan, Florida, defeating the power five team Michigan State Spartans 10-1 in five innings on Saturday, Feb. 10.

Head coach Morgan Zerkle finished her first five games as the leader of the team 2-3 in the opening weekend of the season.

“There were a lot of bright spots on the weekend,” Zerkle said. “We scored in every game, and I think many of our hitters walked up to the plate with great confidence.”

“Bub (Feringa) had her first career win in the circle, and it’s always fun to run rule a P5 team. We have a good foundation to build upon, and the future is bright for this team,” Zerkle said.

After a scoreless first inning, the Herd came into the second inning putting its offensive prowess on display scoring seven runs. The onslaught of runs began and ended with singles from senior transfer catcher Reagan Glanz.

Glanz scored the first runs of the contest after a throwing error from the MSU first baseman. The bats remained hot with Riley Lucas tallying RBI hits and finishing the game with three RBIs, and Bella Gerlach and Camryn Michallas getting a sacrifice fly.

Two of Lucas’s RBIs came in the third inning, where the Herd scored its last three runs of the game.

Pitcher Savannah Rice held the Spartans at bay in her first win of the season, pitching three scoreless innings.

The Spartans couldn’t find any momentum offensively, only scoring one run in the fifth and final inning. Freshman pitcher Emily Cole wrapped up the game’s last two innings.

The Herd travels to the Carolinas next to face Fairfield and Longwood on Feb. 16 at the East Carolina Pirate Clash.