Marshall Partners With Third-Party Tutoring Service

In an attempt to revitalize the University’s tutoring services, Marshall has announced that they are partnering with Knack, a third-party tutoring platform that allows any student with a high enough grade to become a tutor. 

With this new service, anyone who has received a B or above in a class can sign up to tutor for that class. Students who do so can also set their own tutoring hours based on their personal schedule, rather than having hours set by the University.

“There are several differences with the model.  We have a contracted partnership with Knack College Tutoring who will manage tutoring on our behalf,” Sheri Strepp, Associate Dean of Undergraduate Studies, said. “As part of the contracted agreement, they have access to our course lists and lists of currently enrolled students who meet the eligibility requirements to tutor those courses.”

Strepp also hopes that this new program will revitalize the number of students tutoring at Marshall, as that number has gone down significantly as a result of the pandemic. 

“We want to be able to expand our support to our students,” she said. “The traditional tutoring model was limited somewhat by space and our hours of operation. With the new model, tutors are hired as independent contractors. They have the flexibility to work when they want to work.”  

Students are primarily encouraged to meet virtually through Knack’s platform, but there will also be certain approved locations on campus where tutors can meet, including the Memorial Student Center and Drinko Library.

Strepp said that the focus on virtual meetings is meant to encourage off-campus and dual-enrollment students to seek out tutoring, as they won’t have to travel to campus to receive the tutoring as they have in the past.

Students interested in becoming a tutor can find a link to sign up on Marshall’s Tutoring Services website, and the pay for students is currently set at $15 per hour. Hours can also be set per week by tutors to account for changes in their schedule that may occur.

“For those seeking tutoring, don’t hesitate to ask for help, and don’t be embarrassed,” Strepp said. “With this new model, you can participate in an online tutoring session from the privacy of any location you choose.”