Stress Relief Week helps students relax during dead week

Students have the opportunity to take a break from the stress of preparing for finals week and fix their minds on relaxing, stress-free activities happening across campus.

The Campus Activities Board and Marshall Libraries teamed up to put on Stress Relief Week for Marshall students during dead week, offering free activities for students to relax and take a break from preparing for their final exams, Emilie Christenberry, vice president of CAB, said.

“Stress Relief Week is a great thing for students to take advantage of because it is stress-relieving and it’s free,” Christenberry said. “Our goal is to make dead week and finals week less stressful on the student body by allowing them to do fun things like DIYs and giving them snacks and bubble wrap, and we also serve a free lunch on one of the days.”

The activities for the week kicked off Monday with essential oils in Prichard Hall, massages with Triad Tech and survival kits in the Don Morris Room and DIY stress balls in Drinko Library.

Tuesday, CAB provided a free lunch in the Student Government Association office. There was also a magic mural giant coloring sheet in Drinko Library.

There will be a button making station in the lobby of Drinko Library and a mini DIY where students can make their own ornaments and sand jars in the Don Morris Room Wednesday.

Thursday, there will be a story time with milk and cookies in Drinko Library as well as Herd Holiday in the evening at the Memorial Student Center.

Closing things out on Friday, Drinko Library will have Lego kits, card games, movies and calming jars available to check out all day. The “Be Kind to Unwind” event will also be taking place at the Memorial Student Center.

CAB and Marshall Libraries work together to pick out events that would not cause any more stress to students, Christenberry said.

“Our organization gets together to decide what would work the best and be the most enjoyable,” Christenberry said. “The whole semester is taken to plan what we do for Stress Relief Week, and each member helps come up with the events.”

CAB wants Stress Relief Week to be campus-wide, and Christenberry said partnering with Marshall Libraries is helping them achieve that goal.

“The library has been really great with how many events they put on during the week,” Christenberry said. “They always work really hard, and we love to have their support and supporting them in return.”

The main goal for the week is to take stress off of the students, Christenberry said.

“I just think it’s important for college students to know that we support them as a campus and that we know how stressful finals week can be,” Christenberry said. “This week as a whole is important because of how stressful it can be, and these events are meant to take some of the strain off of them.”

Julianna Everly can be contacted at [email protected].