Performance by Charleston band, open mic session to occur at A Night of Soul event

A Night of Soul, an event focused on entertainment and fun during homecoming festivities organized by the Marshall University Black United Students and the Center for African American Students, will be having its third event Thursday, Oct. 24.

“We wanted to have something fun for homecoming after we noticed that our students were requesting for a party-like event that included dressing up but not having to go out,” said Shanunte Polk, program administrator for the CAAS.  

The Unit, a Charleston, West Virginia native band will be performing. They have been partnering with CAAS and BUS for two years and have become a part of the ongoing tradition of coming together for a night of self-expression and high-class performances. 

“When they initially came and performed the first year, it was so captivating that we knew they had to come back the next year,” Polk said. 

Poets, singers and musicians are welcome to share their talent during the open mic session when the band is on intermission. Students also have the opportunity to have The Unit play behind them while they perform if they sign up and make the request before the event. 

Tickets are $3 if purchased before the event and $5 at the door. 

All proceeds will be going to the Black Alumni Janice Whitfield Scholarship Fund, which has helped students cover small costs during the school year. 

“During homecoming time, Black United Students usually partners with the Marshall University Black Alumni association. We wanted to ensure that we were still contributing,” Polk said.

The event will be from 7 to 11 p.m. in the Shawkey Dining Room. Individuals interested in more information may contact Polk at [email protected].  

Taylor Speight can be contacted at [email protected].