Track and field team finishes fifth

Herd host Inaugural Thundering Herd Invite

The Marshall University track and field team hosted the Inaugural Thundering Herd Invite on the Jeff Small Track this weekend.

Marshall finished the meet in fifth with 61 total points, which outnumbered seven other squads. The winner of the event was Western Carolina with 122 points on the women’s side and 238 for the men.

The team finished the competition with 15 top-eight finishes.

The Herd finished with three top eight runners in the 60-meter dash, where sophomore Isatu Fofanah took first with a time of 7.46.

Teammate Hope Julmiste came in fourth with a time of 7.59. Sophomore Kametra Byrd finished out the top eight for the Herd with a time of 7.70.

Fofanah’s time in this event set a new track record, surpassing the old record of 7.46.

Fofanah earned another victory in the 200 meter, setting another track record previously held by Byrd. Fofanah’s time was 24.25 while Byrd, coming in shortly after her at 25.42, placed eighth.

Sophomore Shyra Molten also placed among top runners by coming in sixth place with a time of 57.64 in the 400-meter.

Junior Asia Bange broke her own record while also grabbing first in the 60-meter hurdles with an 8.68 mark.

Senior Loren Dyer continued Marshall’s success by finishing second in the triple jump with a length of 11.88 meters. Fellow jumper, Antonique Butler came in third place posting an 11.60 mark.

Rounding out the top finishers for the Herd, was the 4×400 relay team of sophomore Tianya Hankerson, Dyer, Fofanah and junior Shanice Johnson. The team finished just out of podium contention at fifth with a time of 3:51.85.

Junior thrower Bethany Drury credits the new training facility, Chris Cline Athletic Complex, for having multiple benefits for the Herd.

“The indoor training facility has definitely given the throwers a better chance to have a full practice,” Drury said. “We used to have to move one to two pieces of large plywood and then roll mats on top of the plywood to protect the basketball court. By the time we finished this process, we would have wasted 20-30 minutes of practice. Now we can walk into the facility and get right to business, allowing a more productive and beneficial practice.”

Drury said the new facility has made a lot of changes for the team.

“This year has been a drastic change for the throwing squad and it shows in the results,” said Drury. “I also know that it’s a huge benefit for the sprinters because they now have a full track, rather than a horseshoe made of cement on Level E of the Cam Henderson Center. I know this is saving a lot of injuries because the team can now run in spikes and are on a safer surface.”

The Thundering Herd will travel to Akron, Ohio, for the Akron Invitational Friday and Saturday as it look to continue its current success.

Jillian Shemanski can be contacted at [email protected].